Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide) Solution
Sodium Hydroxide solution is widely employed in neutralisation processes as it produces a linear reaction with acidic solutions and does not have the handling difficulties of lime (Calcium Carbonate) solutions.
Bulk deliveries of Sodium Hydroxide at 47% w/v are the most commercially viable storage concentration however the dilution from this concentration to a usable process solution of, for example, 10% is exothermic and produces a hot, corrosive solution that must be contained.
Chem Resist has developed a fully automatic storage and dilution plant for Sodium Hydroxide. This all thermoplastic plant consists of 2 components.
1. A Bulk Storage Tank
− with a minimum capacity of 1.25 road tankers, to ensure an adequate margin for re-ordering while maintaining production. This is supplied as a tank to be located in a bunded area or as a self bunded construction simply to be mounted on a level concrete slab. The tank is supplied with :-
- Tanker Inlet Pipework including isolation and drain valve arragements
- Integral Tank Insulation
- Electric Tank Heating
- Ultrasonic Tank Level Transmission
- Mechanical High & Low Level Switching
- Mechanical Bund Leakage Alarm
2. A Transfer and Dilution section
- comprising of a pumped transfer of the concentrated Sodium Hydroxide solution to the Dilution vessel. The Dilution vessel is sized to suit the batch size of the process (can act as a day tank). Batch dilution is initiated on low level and is fully automatic.
The all thermoplastic Dilution vessel uses a completely enclosed mixing/recirculation system incorporating a centrifugal pump and static eductor eliminating the need for mechanical agitator and support steelwork. The centrifugal pump is also used to transfer the product to the neutralisation process.
Advantages of the Chem Resist Caustic Dilution system
- All thermoplastic corrosion-resistant construction
- Integrated Storage & Dilution system
- Controlled safe operation
- Fully Automatic Dilution process
- Pumped transfer of final product